It's the last day of 2009, why not celebrate with cookies? Here's one to try: Orange-Glazed Cookies, which happen to be hubster's favorite.
Makes 60 Total Time: 3hr 00m
Ingredients: Basic Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for shaping the cookies
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions for Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated (the dough will be stiff). Shape into a disk and (unless otherwise specified in an individual recipe) refrigerate, wrapped, for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Divide the basic sugar cookie dough in half and form into 1-by-1½-inch rectangular logs (do not substitute slice-and-bake dough). Refrigerate until firm. Slice ¼ inch thick.
- Bake at 350° F on parchment-lined baking sheets until just beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Dip tops of cooled cookies in a mixture of 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons orange juice, and 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest.